In 4-1/2 months, the Empirehouse glazing team completed installation of 45,216 square feet of window wall and 3,662 square feet of terrace doors at the 17-story Portland Tower luxury condominium project in downtown Minneapolis, MN.
This downtown Minneapolis project was logistically challenged by its proximity to the new Viking Stadium in addition to the new Downtown East Commons Park, and other new commercial and apartment building work. All projects were under construction simultaneously with similar deadlines and within blocks of each other. Our glazing crew demonstrated tremendous teamwork by safely meeting aggressive schedules and site management challenges with no injuries. The Empirehouse Safety & Quality Coordinator held monthly audits on site which helped our glazing team reach the Gold Standard in safety.
Rather than standard windows, a window wall system was selected for this project to meet today’s increasing energy efficiency demands, especially for high rise construction. This system can accommodate a wide variety of glazing solutions and offers exceptional thermal separation of the framing materials. It is an architecturally appealing and versatile product -perfect for high rise residential living.
Glass and glazing scope
- Aluminum window-wall assemblies and glazing set with a full-perimeter receptor system
- Aluminum storefront assemblies glazed with insulated glass
- Interior aluminum storefront assembly glazed with 1/4″ clear tempered glass
- Wide stile doors, with automatic operators
- Interior glass and glazing, consisting of 1/4″ clear tempered, 20-minute fire-rated wire glass, 45-minute fire-rated glass, and 90-minute fire-rated glass glazed into hollow metal frames and doors
Major material suppliers
- Efco Corporation, Monett, MO
Aluminum framing, doors and window systems
- Viracon, Inc., Owatonna, MN
Fabricated glass units
Photo by Finance & Commerce Photographer Bill Klotz shows Empirehouse glaziers at the Portland Tower project site.
Owner: Shamrock Companies
General Contractor: RJM Construction
Architect: Oertel Architects
Glazing Contractor: Empirehouse, Inc.
Total Glass Area: Approx. 45,216 square feet
Photo Gallery: (Click to enlarge)
For your next project, trust a Certified NACC Architectural Glass and Metal Contractor for quality results. Call Empirehouse at 763-535-1150 or contact us.